Saturday, May 19, 2007

Relay for Life - Mardi Gras 2007

This weekend was the annual Relay For Life in my county. It started at 6:00 p.m. Friday and ended at 1:00 p.m. Saturday.

This year I purchased luminaria. One for my dad, a cancer survivor. And, one for his brother, who is in the midst of battling cancer. I had watched the luminaria lighting ceremony in previous years, but had never participated. A whole new experience. As I listened to the words being spoken over the loud speaker and watching the progress of the torch around the track being carried by survivors, I was moved to tears.

Here's the luminaria before lighting.




























And, immediately after lighting before the stadium lights were turned back on.















During my hour of laps at 2:00 a.m.





















And, to my dear sweet Laraine, whom I had the pleasure of meeting in NYC in 2002.... know that my prayers are with you in your upcoming battle. Some of my tears during the luminaria ceremony were for you, my friend....

1 comment:

Emmy said...

What a great thing to do! Great pictures!