Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Layout: Memories of Afghan Knitting

Every winter Mom would knit an afghan. She used the same pattern only doing it in different colors.  She would knit a few rows in the evenings after she had finished fixing dinner, cleaning up (of course, I helped with that) and grading papers.  It usually took several months for her to get one done.  Many of them were gifts for people although I still have several of them.  Her first one for us was shades of orange.  Orange was her favorite color and autumn colors were the “in” colors for decorating in those days. She also made one in scarlet and grey for Dad.  She made one in shades of blue for me when I lived at home. Later when I was in an apartment of my own, she made one in shades of brown.  I still have all 4 of these afghans to this day!

I did this layout to document these memories. The afghan in the picture was made in 1972 and was a gift for my cousin, Jack.  In this picture she was finishing the edges and our dog, Patches, was giving her paw of approval.

I used a kit from Sweet Digi Scraps called “These Memories” and a template from Sweet Digi Scraps “Splitsville” collection.

No comments: