Sunday, January 29, 2006

The hype begins

7 days to go before the Super Bowl and the media frenzy has started.

I love football but the Super Bowl has bored me these last few years. But this year is different. I'm excited about it. Why is that? Well, this girl from Ohio is a fan of the Seattle Seahawks -- a team that has never been to the Super Bowl in their 30 year history.

I grew up with a father who is a fan of the Cleveland Browns. He had gone to Browns games before he and mom were married so this is a die-hard fan. The Cincinnati Bengals have always been persona non-grata around this house. I remember the flipping between games on Sundays in the days before remote controls.... you actually had to get out of a chair and turn the dial on the TV! Football is a part of my life and always will be.

Now how did I get to be a Seattle fan (especially since I've never been to WA or Seattle)???? I lived in Toledo during the late 70's and early 80's. On Sunday afternoons I would watch pro football. Some of those games included the Seattle Seahawks. There was this QB/WR combination that was awesome (IMHO)... Jim Zorn and Steve Largent. I was hooked. I loved watching those 2. I've stuck with them even after both Zorn and Largent were gone and thru some lean years. Now in the age of the internet, it is a lot easier to keep up with what is happening with them and I listen to their games on the internet every Sunday.

This year has been a dream season. I kept waiting for them to shoot themselves in the foot. They've done it so many times before. They surprised me and exceeded all my expectations.

Last Sunday during the NFC championship game I joined a chat of other Seahawk fans on BillB's website Here I was in a chat with a bunch of guys and at the end of the game there were tears.... Yep, these guys admitted to crying because they were so happy. I was so wound up I couldn't sleep that night. Gawd, I love my Seahawks...

I live in Ohio, just 45 minutes from the hometown of Steeler QB "Big Ben". I was in Findlay just yesterday and saw some "Go Steelers" signs around town. But the best part was that a young man working in Wendy's gave me a thumbs up (I had on my Seahawk windbreaker). He's a 49er's fan and is rooting for the Seahawks :) Made my day!

No comments: