Thursday, March 15, 2007

Winter of Flooding

We've had quite a winter in my area of Ohio.

I live in a town with a river running thru it. I actually live very close to the river and drive past and across it everyday to go to work.

We had quite a rainstorm yesterday and some reports are that we had over 3 inches of rain. So it figures that we would have some high water today.... Well, it was a little higher than I thought so at lunch time I got my camera then spent some time getting pictures after work (you know, the scrapbooker in me :) )
















This is the river behind downtown. Just past the gazebo and tree is a retaining wall. The water is normally 6 to 8 feet below the top of this wall.















Here's another view of the retaining wall. The river curves at this point and you can see the wall continue on in the background of the pic.














Here's the parking lot..... Now there are usually parking spaces filled with cars along the retaining wall. Not today!















We've got a boat ramp and a little park too..... Well, that is when the park isn't flooded. See the big rock on the right? That's where the boat ramp starts!















A little ways down the river (that's downtown off to the right in the background of this pic), we have another larger park. There's a couple of ball diamonds along the river here. The one ball diamond outfield also doubles as the football practice field. During the winter, there is an "ice rink". That wasn't used much this winter. As you can see, the practice field is mostly under water!















More football equipment. This is actually on the little road beside the ball diamond (the football uprights would be just to the left of where this picture is taken). The houses in the background are across the river. They are located on the main street in town. I have to say, they are pretty used to flooding but since most have extremely large (long) backyards, they don't have too many problems.















A little farther west of the park we've got another road. This is the bridge I cross every day. Underneath it is the damn. Normally you can see the damn because the water on the west side of it is usually 6 to 8 feet below the damn. Not today. See the rough waters? That's where the water is going "over" the damn. And, those trees.... They are usually on grassy land, not in the middle of the river!















And, the final picture to share. This is the cornfield along the road I take every single day. It is a good thing the developers of the subdivision I live in never developed this piece of land.....

I took more pictures but these were the interesting ones and showed quite a bit of the flooding. This is the 4th time this winter we've had flooding like this. Early December, early January, mid-February (after the blizzard snows melted), and today. I don't remember this much flooding in one winter in a long time!

Except for the February flood, I've got pictures of all of it! And, yep, I'm going to scrap 'em!!!

1 comment:

agent713 said...

Yuck! We've had a lot of rain here too. It's causing a bunch of mudslides on the main highway (11 within a 10 km stretch). No flooding, yet. My work is right beside the river though and should it decided to overflow, it will be interesting for us to say the least.

I hope no major damage occurs from your flooding.

~Heidi