Jul 20, 1969: Astronaut Neil A. Armstrong was the first man to walk on the Moon.
I was 14 years old and on vacation in Carter Caves, Kentucky. My parents, my cousin, myself and another family we were with watched it on a black and white TV in the motel room.
Why would we take time out of our vacation to watch this on TV?
Neil was from our hometown, Wapakoneta. Actually, my parents knew both Neil and his parents. His parents lived right around the corner from us (I could see their house from my bedroom window which today is my office/scraproom). My grandparents were very good friends of Neil's parents. And, in high school, my Dad had dated his sister a few times.
It was also a pretty big accomplishment at that time and who knew where it would lead.
Now that is one childhood vacation I'll never forget.
When I started digi-scrapping, one of the first layouts I made was this.

And, yes that is a true autograph on that picture. The picture was given to my parents by Neil when he was home for the homecoming celebration in September, 1969. It still hangs proudly in our family room.
An exciting moment in history and a proud memory for my town. Wonder what the 40th anniversary will bring next year?
I was 14 years old and on vacation in Carter Caves, Kentucky. My parents, my cousin, myself and another family we were with watched it on a black and white TV in the motel room.
Why would we take time out of our vacation to watch this on TV?
Neil was from our hometown, Wapakoneta. Actually, my parents knew both Neil and his parents. His parents lived right around the corner from us (I could see their house from my bedroom window which today is my office/scraproom). My grandparents were very good friends of Neil's parents. And, in high school, my Dad had dated his sister a few times.
It was also a pretty big accomplishment at that time and who knew where it would lead.
Now that is one childhood vacation I'll never forget.
When I started digi-scrapping, one of the first layouts I made was this.
And, yes that is a true autograph on that picture. The picture was given to my parents by Neil when he was home for the homecoming celebration in September, 1969. It still hangs proudly in our family room.
An exciting moment in history and a proud memory for my town. Wonder what the 40th anniversary will bring next year?
1 comment:
Wow! That is so neat!!!
Post a Comment