Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Layout: Old Sheldon Church

 

When I was researching for my trip last May, I ran across a website that listed free things to do off the beaten path of the interstate system.  I checked out the stretch of I-95 from Rocky Mount, NC to Florida.  I saw an article and some pictures of an old, burned out church in South Carolina.  It was only 7 miles off the highway in Yemassee.  I decided it would be a good place to stop and take some pictures.

It was AWESOME!  The story behind the ruins is amazing also. The building was originally known as Prince William’s Parish Church.  It was built between 1745 and 1753, then burned by the British in 1779 during the Revolutionary War. In 1826 it was rebuilt.  According to the sign placed in 1937 at the ruins, it was then burned in 1865 by Sherman’s men during their “march to the Sea” campaign.  Since then another possible fate has come to light. A letter dated February 3, 1866 states that the church wasn’t burned out, just torn up inside but could be rebuilt. Evidently, the inside of the church was gutted by local people for materials to rebuild their homes that were burned by Sherman’s army.  Either way, it was not rebuilt but is now on the National Register of Historic Places.

The ruins are surrounded by majestic oak trees and scattered graves with some of them dating in the 1990’s.  The remains of Colonel William Bull who organized and funded the church in the 1740s and 1750s are within the ruins.

While I was there, I saw a couple with a photographer taking engagement pictures.  It is so gorgeous that it is used for that quite often and also is available for weddings.

I used Sweet Digi Scrap’s kit “Like A Weed” and a template from Scrapping With Liz’s Recyclables 20  collection.

No comments: